Why qif and not qfx?

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM

It seems that qfx is is the new format that banks are telling us to download to import into quicken

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM

There are a couple of reasons for this project. First, it was created a number of years ago. I'm not sure if it was before the new format or not, but it was for a personal project I was working on. I just needed a simple interface for importing QIF files (the only file format available for my project). Second, as QIF dies, not everyone is able to move away from it. I thought it would be helpful for others to painlessly work with the QIF format. While this tool supports writing QIF files, it can also read them. This can help people move away from QIF (through importing the file and use the API to export it to a custom format), or it can help people live with it (if they can't move away from QIF). For that matter, I have considered creating a QFX API, similar to this one, but I just don't have the time. I also don't know the need. If the need is really pressing, I'm sure I could put something together.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Quicken 2010 (and perhaps future versions) can NOT export a QFX, only a .QIF.  -- Since my current requirement is to take a .QIF exported from Quicken 2010 and parse it your API is exactly what I need(ed). Perhaps future support for QFX would be nice.